23 September 2007

Back to the Theological Stuff...

A few weeks ago, I posed a question regarding Christological interpretation of the Old Testament. I was (and still am) reading Warren Carter's book on John, and was bothered by the fact that readers are supposed to interpret John's references to the Old Testament through Christological eyes. I wondered if reading the Old Testament (which I decided about two seconds ago should forevermore be referenced to as Ye Olde Testament) Christologically pays proper homage to its writers.

To tell the truth, I feel a little silly for getting so upset about that in this situation. I'm blaming it on the fact that I wrote that blog relatively early in the morning (for me) standing in my friend's kitchen, having not eaten yet, and having not read the rest of the book.

Please allow me to correct myself: according to Carter, John was written to first century Jews to convince them that Jesus is the Messiah. Thus, the most effective way for the writer to do that would be to use Old Testament prophesy and interpret it as referring to Christ. It makes complete sense to me now.

I'm still not a fan of Christological interpretation (if it's not the original intent, of course) but I'd really like to know how other people feel about it. Maybe I'm incredibly unusual and the rest of the world is fine with it, who knows? I'm looking forward to finding out....

No comments: